My Experiences with a Hacker

Oldenn
So as some of you may know, my WoW account was recently hacked (actually I still can't play yet as I'm writing this). But I know that it's not just been me that's getting this problem. I figured I might as well tell the rest of you awesome guildies about my experience with this hacker and some information that Blizzard suggests you do.

First off, if you suspect that you've been hacked, don't waste anytime, report it to someone! I found that phoning Blizzard directly leads to waiting for hours by a telephone, just hoping for someone to pick up. What I suggest to do is email Blizzard Support directly A.S.A.P. Depending on the issue, you may want to contact different email addresses . . . this page lays it out nicely:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=30806

Blizzard was able to reply to me in a quick and professional manner when I emailed them.

After I notified Blizzard, I went and changed all my passwords. This may slow your hacker, as now they'll have to either a) take the time to reset your password again (this makes for a "fun" password battle ^^;) or b) Will have to take the time to hack your new password. I found myself changing my password almost everyday, in an attempt to befuddle the hacker, hopefully making them back off.

It's good to inform your guild that you may have been hacked, either through a friend, vent, email etc., otherwise, you'll look like ninja or a person with malicious intents (and that sounds like no one in PnR ^^). Alastrinae tells me that my hacker has already taken like, 3000g out of the gbank, which I'm very very sorry about, but yeah, not much I can do right now =(.

This brings me to another point, which I'm not sure will be followed through with entirely, but Blizzard says that if everything that was tampered with is reported, then Blizzard will refund the guild / players all their missing gold/equipment/items/etc. so don't feel too bad if you lost your epic sword you've been saving-up-for-2-months-for.

Since I'm still at this point, and now am just waiting for Blizzard to clean up the mess and get back to me, there's not much more I can talk about until it's done and over with.

If you would like to add any additional information or talk about your own experiences, then I think that would be very helpful to the guild.

Thank you for listening. ^_^

~Oldenn (Elliott)

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

PnR Guildmaster
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Dear Oldenn:

First, you need this!  --->  /bighug

=o)

I know how VERY confusing/sad/frustrating it can be to have your account hacked, and I empathize!  It happened to me also.  But, I wasn't nearly as chilled out about it as you appear to be. *s*

So, first, I have to commend you on both your willingness to share your experience with us, and your obviously calm demeanor.  Not only are your actions towards your hacker a bit humorous, but, you're doing a GREAT job of looking cool!  I think you've got a good handle on things.  =o)

I also would like to allay some of your fears about the state of the gbank.  Yesindeedy, your nasty hacker got away with a TON of great loot ... but, like you, as soon as I suspected you'd been hacked (immediately after the withdrawals), I bumped you down to 'burden' rank, opened a ticket with a GM, and sent an email to Blizzard, on your behalf.

Thanks for keeping us updated, and thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm sorry you were targeted, but, I'm also sorry that you probably won't be the last one.  Because of this, your post will prove invaluable to those who are next.  =o/

Thanks again for keeping in touch, and for being such an awesome guildy.  We look forward to your return!l

XOs - Arztin / Taura

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

Oldenn
Well, I feel silly for making that earlier post today, for now I'm back and back for good. ^^

The GM says that it will take about 8-9 days for everything to be returned and restored. Again, I apologize for any complaints, frustrations and mishaps I may have caused =(

I you see me on next, please don't throw stones, it's Oldenn for realsies =)

Thank you again girls and guys!
~Oldenn (Elliott)

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

Alastrinae
Oh Elliott, leave it to you to have a super girly picture. :P

I'm happy that you're back to play again, because, I'm not going to lie, I felt a little lost playing without you. However,  I'm also disappointed that I didn't encounter the hacker and wasn't able to give him a what-for!

Although it's difficult to understand the logic behind hacking a WoW account, ( because really, they don't take any REAL information like your credit card and then buy a yacht in Germany and a purebred poodle in the States or something)I still found it amusing that they would leave 12 silver in your pockets and that they were probably WTFing to themselves when they realized you had changed your password like a million times.

I just picture some guy being like " WTF! Awwwww, come ooooon!! This isn't faaaaaiiir!"
 *sniffle sniffle*

Either way, I'm glad you're back and I won't throw stones.....

But leather balls? No promises :)

Alastrinae, Alice, (Emily)

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

Oldenn
lmao! yeah, Oldenn had the most gold with 6 gold, like what the hell? Most people had like, 10 silver lol.

but yeah, you should've bugged the guy with no mercy =P lmao, we should've done it at your house xD

Also, speaking of which, we need more Heavy leather Balls, all of mine were pawned T_T. Lol, we can also farm some http://thottbot.com/?i=37233 if you DO want to throw stones at me =P

It's so frustrating being left with like nothing. I feel particularly bad for Dawnbringer though, I took out the entire officer's tab in the gbank. Bleagh, oh well, hopefully it gets replaced soon. (It was also like, pretty much full in there, so I guess it can't be that bad? lol. jk jk)

Anyway, that's enough from me.
~Oldenn (Elliott)

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

Thendistus
Yeah i kind of figured out the hard way that calling was NOT the way to go...so i am filling out an email form right now...but of course my scanner won't scan my I.D.  Gotta Love Technology and It's MANY Failures lol

Re: My Experiences with a Hacker

Oldenn
lol, brutal. technology ALWAYS feels like not working when you need it the most xD